PROPHET64 & MSSIAH Userforum

Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-07 12:50:40

importeur3

Modding C64 ideas for P64 live boxes

1) Screen

the PS one screen asks for 7.5 DC in. The SID requires 9 DC, so assuming the 7.5 is regulated down to 5V in the screen, a PS one screen might be possible to run internall from the C64. The question is, will it affect/harm the sid, and can tha tbe prevented. Anyone know a lot about PSONE screens? If you know if the regulator regualtes all 7.5v in down to 5, or if the current is split, and 7.5 is used for some things and 5v for others, pelase tell me...

could you run a PSone screen on 9v? how would you safeguard the sid? diodes and caps and such?

2) Mouse/Pots

It's possible to run a 1351 mouse as a 1350 (rolling joystick) and then ahve all 4 pots work independantly, without mous einterference. 4 pots can then be hard wired into the board, hurray! loss of right mouse button supoprt ensues though.

3) Audio in/out/svideo dongle

You can create a 1/4" jack / svideo dongle or octopus cable for your C64c, meaning that rather than implement dangerous and potentially harmful soldering etc.. and drilling

www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=pinconvid_c128_c64c

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svideo

this should give you all the info you need to complete this. You will then have an interchangeable C64 dongle which, in the event of a system fry, you can simply plug into the next c64c you are using, without needing to permanently modify another box.

Modifying a case is fun, i'm not against it. Just saying this might be a practical solution and non permanent.

4) Portable PSU
Is it possible to get AC from a portable power supply? If so, please tell me. I would love to build a portable PSU that could supply the AC and DC required to run the c64.

Potential problems - the PSone screen without modification uses a lot of juice. Removeing the CCFLs and replacing them with white LEDs helps to solve that issues.

5) Internal speakers for quick checks / earphone jack

This one is a cinch, but could be damn helpful if you need to test stuff on stage really quick without the audience listening.. if you are having problems etc. I find that live, at least one bit of equipment goes wrong, and having to listen to it through the monitors sort of ruins the experience for the audince as i trouble shoot.

Inexpensive speakers, or with the PSone screem the internal speakers, can easily be added, or a headphones jack, or aheadphones Y-cable that would go into the 1/4" for the Sid2Sid and the 1/4" from your SLorrin approved Octopus Dongle.

6) mounted externally 4 pots plus mouse

again, in my drive to remain as true to the original machine as possible and make any alterations impermanent (because i have lost 2 c64cs over my lifetime, and guarantee a 3rd will die (i have 10 remaining, ... ) so! you can do the following.

You can take 2 db9 female plugs, mount them in a box properly spaced to fit into the joystick oprts.

to port 2 wire the joystick axis 1, 2, 3, 4 and button, to a male DB9 port, into which you plug your mouse, then wire the X and Y axis on port 2, and the X and Y axis on port 1, and ground obviously, to trim pots on the box.

ideas: you could take out the on off switch in the machine and mount it in the box, so you can keep the box attached.

you can also use a thin casing for the DB9 female plugs and have it run a ribbon cable to the 4 pots, put velcro on the bottom of each, and wear velcro pads on your clothes, or your gear, or create a "pot belt" with many blinking LEDS, and control your music as though you are a cyborg interfacing with the master device.. (this type of thing is what i like to do.. an added show element)

These are some suggestions.. and i hope the board gets this

BUT HI!

slorrin

Last edited by importeur3 (2006-07-07 13:00:07)

#2 2006-07-07 13:04:36

importeur3

Re: Modding C64 ideas for P64 live boxes

1) Screen

You shouldn't use the internal Power of the C64. The Power Supply is not really strong and so most Voltages that are on the Joystick-Port or the Userport only allow currents between 50 - 150 mA. I wouldn't connect an extra Screen powerd by the C64. It might work, but your Power Supply answeres this with getting more hot and probably dies.

2) Mouse/Pots

It's possible to run a 1351 mouse as a 1350 (rolling joystick) andthen ahve all 4 pots work independantly, without mous einterference.

Yep thats possible. But the 1351 mode is more smooth and the nicest to work with.

4) Portable PSU
Is it possible to get AC from a portable power supply?

There are some diy C64 powersupplys out there which allow more power as far as i can remember. Just search the web.

5) Internal speakers for quick checks / earphone jack

Why don't you connect your headphone to the mixer? Thats how i use it live for pre-listening and it doesn't even need the monitor speakers turned on.
Also you would need an amplifier as the signals amplitude is probably not the highest..

firestARTer :-)

firestARTer

#3 2006-07-10 07:56:19

Slorrin
PROPHET64 GURU

Sometimes the mixer is far far from you, in the sound booth, or at the sound pannel, and you are on stage...

SO i can now listen with the psone screen.

As for the internal power, i concurr.  However, i have been searching for where the 9VAC is used in the commodore

Seems to be on the user ports... and tape port..

is it used anywhere else?  if not, the rest of the commodore uses the 9DC created by the rectifier just inside the power jack..

if that's so.. battery power is possible..

#4 2006-07-19 08:02:13

el-bee
Bloody beginner

Slorrin wrote:

As for the internal power, i concurr.  However, i have been searching for where the 9VAC is used in the commodore
Seems to be on the user ports... and tape port..
is it used anywhere else?  if not, the rest of the commodore uses the 9DC created by the rectifier just inside the power jack..

It's also used to create a clock for both CIA timers (pin 19, TOD), don't know if Prophet64 uses these for anything. This could be replaced with a custom oscillator if required.

Maybe Firestarter can confirm whether or not the timers are used for something?

Board footer