PROPHET64 & MSSIAH Userforum

Official information and support forum for
MSSIAH and all PROPHET64 versions.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-07-07 13:08:43

importeur3

Audio/Video cable

Can anybody give me details of how to make a split audio/video lead.

I was going to get a Sony PSone monitor to use. I assume I need:
a)a midi lead
b)a jack lead
c)a composite lead for the monitor.... but what type?

Some type of soldering diagram would be killer too.

Thanks!

commodork64

#2 2006-07-07 13:10:29

importeur3

Re: Audio/Video cable

ALright, i'll be more helpful

www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=pinconvid_c64

in the old 5 pin system, there is luminance, and video out. Ignore luminance for the PSone monitor. You want to isolate the Video out.

If you have a cable with an 8 pin connector, the 3 plugs on the other end are Chromo, Luma, and Audio. You can't; use chromo/luma for the PSone. So you can iether open the casing for the plug and resolder one of the plugs to the pin for video out, as shown in the picture in the link above, or, you can buy an octopus cable.

Octopus cables are great. Essentially, you get one side with 1 plug, and the other side with many many plugs. In this case, you want a 5 pin octopus cable. (a pentopus?) On one side, the 5 pin din goes into the C64 a/v plug. The OTHER side has all the 5 pins delightfully separated. All you ahve to do is check which one is the video out, and you're good.

You also can get a simple coupler and add it to the Audio IN then you have a plug to put in audio in! (an RCA coupler will have 2 female holes, you plug your male pin into the female hole, and the 2nd female hole acts as an input for any normal RCA cable.. if rca's not your thing, you can get an adaptor with 1 female RCA and 1 female 1/4")

is any of this helpful? i dont' know if i'm rambling.. i'm preparing for a show tonight.

So, one last time - You need:

1 - commodore a/v cable (5 pin type is better OR a 5 pin octopus cable (5 pin DIN to 5 RCA male)
1 - 2 rca female to 1 stero 1/8" mini phono jack (headphone style jack).

I have confirmed that the video is RIGHT (red in my adaptor) and audio is LEFT (white in my adaptor).

This is why you need the 2 FEMALE RCA to 1 STERO PHONO. A mono RCA to PHONO will cause the PSone screen to interpret the video as audio (if i'm not mistaken, the tip of the jack is left/mono and the sleve is right... correct me if mistaken though).

you then do this

slorrin

#3 2006-07-07 13:11:27

importeur3

THe PSONE screen has a small stero 1/8" jack, like earphones. I believe the RIGHT channel is video, the LEFT channel is audio.

depending on what video cable you are using, you need to separate video and audio. the c64 outputs a video signal on one of the pins. if you have one of those modern cables they sell on the internet, you just need an RCA to headphone jack converter, make sure it's a stereo one, with 2 RCA inputs, and only put the video signal in the right channel. If you get a mono in, i think the video is lost.

does that make sense?

google "commodore a/v pinout" and you'll find an image of the pinout for the A/V din plug

slorrin

#4 2006-08-25 02:33:49

electriclifeform
Bub
Website

if i were to use one of these screens instead fi sony....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-PS1-Psone-Lcd … dZViewItem

then it has rca video input so i would literally connect pin 4 of the 5 pin c64 output (video) to a male rca plug and plug it in?

is it really this simple? if so, im on it..!

www.handbakedarcade.co.uk  <-- arcade :-)

#5 2006-08-25 03:09:09

Slorrin
PROPHET64 GURU

most of these screens that are not from sony or zenith are total garbage.. be warned.

#6 2006-08-25 10:22:32

basil faulty
Dan Dare

Slorrin wrote:

most of these screens that are not from sony or zenith are total garbage.. be warned.

I got my hands on a Competition Pro PS2 screen.

The good - it is NTSC/PAL switchable.

The bad - the colours are very washed out - almost unusable.

#7 2006-08-25 13:33:13

electriclifeform
Bub
Website

ah i c, so only use psone screens then..? do they have rca video input?

www.handbakedarcade.co.uk  <-- arcade :-)

Board footer